Friday, April 1, 2011

Rule of Engagement #2: Determining What I Want and What I Need

You know, news start to flow and some people may try to encourage you but some people may try to bring you down.  Listen to everyone at least once, then, because you don’t have time to waste, be picky, don’t give your time to negative or ill intended people, OK? Also, do not waste your time thinking on those who are having a blast because you are not “there” and they remain “there” even though they are not worth their salaries; doing that will drive you nuts! It is what it is; let nature run its course.

What I Want
I have been very clear in my career path in the past and I continue to be. I want a position that reports to the President or CEO, with a multi-State, or multi-national, or global company.  I would like a Director of VP position where I move freely through the organization to find the efficiencies and the improvements that are needed.  I want to work for a solid organization where brains are appreciated and not prosecuted, where change is welcome because these days companies need to be flexible and “innovate or die”, where work is work and not “family” because I know that having a “family” environment is way too difficult to understand, unless the leaders mean business for real.   Otherwise, power players are rejected because they just want status quo, which is very uncharacteristic of true leaders. Salary should commensurate with responsibility, definitively.  Some have asked me if I am willing to relocate and the answer is: Absolutely, if I can get what I want.

What I Need
To determine what I need, I had to do a few things. First, I created a list of my financial responsibilities with the due dates.  I also assessed my liquid assets.  I am concerned because definitively I’ll have to tap into my savings if I don’t find a job soon.  To my surprise, though, with normal adjustments and scaling down some of our technology (by the way, I cannot believe how many gadgets that require Verizon, ATT, Comcast, DirectTV, etc. services I have, these were not an issue before, but they are an issue now!)  To cover my responsibilities, I would say that I can go back to the HR Manager level, hopefully with a company that thinks of HR as a strategic partner and not a paper pusher.  What I want may put me out of the market in terms of salary, so unless something happens soon I will have to go with what I need and have patience.  

Next Time, Rule of Engagement #3: Cover Letter, Resume, and Applications! My first time to impress!

No comments:

Post a Comment