Friday, April 15, 2011

Rule of Engagement # 4: Be a Strategist (going after the right jobs)


Hello Everyone!  I think that this posting is very important, so please read it carefully!  Also remember that I will talk about my experience and depending on your line of business your approach may be a little different, and that is OK.  Just follow the basic principles while customizing your own search.  


I think that it is worth mentioning that the economy seems to be getting a little bit better.  It is true that here in Florida it is improving very slowly because of the big dive that we took between 2006 and 2009, but we will get there.  And this is a good point, maybe I will really have to consider to move out of this beautiful State if I want to advance my career. The alternative might be to take a few steps back and wait for the economy to improve. Then maybe my dream job will show up.  However, I am a nester, meaning that I do not like to jump from job to job. In my previous job I stayed for almost 4 years and only left because of a layoff and the one previous that that one almost 12 and likewise, I left because of a layoff.  

OK, let's get to business, Rule of Engagement # 4: Be a Strategist (going after the right jobs)

In one of my previous posts I mentioned What I Wanted vs. What I Needed.  For now, I am still going for what I want.  Still have a little time.  However, what I want is really hard to get.  What I want is mostly out of State, which for me is not a problem, my family is willing to move.  But I think that even though I have an excellent Resume, personal interviews is where I excel.  Anyway, below some tips.

Tip # 1 - Do not place all your eggs in the same basket.
Do you know how many job search boards, websites, and social media forums are available to you? I do not know the exact number but there are MANY.  Just to mention some:

For Free:
Monster.com (hotjobs.com)
Careerbuilder.com (why is it so slow when I try to input information?)
Simplyhired.com
Indeed.com

Upgrade for a Fee: (Usually for jobs that are $100,000+)
Theladders.com
6figurejobs.com
LinkedIn.com

There are many professional groups (such as SHRM in my case), where I can go and check jobs directly related to HR. If you are part of a professional group, you will most probably be able to obtain some leads there.

Tip # 2 - Read the employment announcement carefully.
If the employment ad says "experience in such industry required" or "certain degree required" and you do not have it, don't apply; they won't call you, you will waste your time (and theirs).  If they say "no relocation" that means that they are looking for a local candidate; the way around this is if you have family members in the area and you are willing to relocate at your own cost, then use their address.  You will have to flight really soon if you get an interview, so be prepared with top cash to purchase the ticket with little time in advance.  

Tip # 3 - Subscribe to "search agents"
If you want to work for a specific company, send them your Resume.  Some of the more organized companies have "search agents" meaning that you can enter your information and you will get advised whenever they post a position that may be good for you; you can then apply. 

Tip # 4 - Create a log of the positions and companies that you have applied for.  
This is basically a self-note for me.  I am wondering, what if someone calls me and I don't even remember the position for which I have applied?  After I am done writing this I will go to my e-mail and I will get all the confirmations and make my list.  

I think that we did well for today. Next time: Rule of Engagement #5: Preparing for the interview!

1 comment:

  1. Good article in Monster
    http://career-advice.monster.com/job-search/getting-started/a-winning-job-search-strategy/article.aspx

    ReplyDelete